Connect with us

News

Egypt Discovers 2,500-Year-Old Intact Coffins

Published

on

CAIRO, Sept. 7  — Egypt announced on Sunday the discovery of a collection of more than 13 intact sealed coffins dating back to 2,500 years ago, reported Xinhua news agency.

The coffins were found at an archeological site in Saqqara necropolis in Giza, said the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities in a statement.

The coffins, along with three sealed niches, were unearthed inside an 11-meter-deep shaft, according to the statement.

Egyptian Tourism and Antiquities Minister Khaled al-Anany and Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), visited the site on Sunday and inspected the excavation work in the shaft.

“The discovery marks the largest number of coffins found in one burial place since the discovery of the Asasif Cachette,” the minister said, referring to the discovery of 30 ancient coffins in October 2019 at Asasif cemetery in Upper Egypt’s Luxor Province.

“The discovery in Saqqara includes a wonderful collection of coloured wooden coffins whose colours and inscriptions are still in a good condition despite the passage of 2,500 years,” Waziri, who leads the Egyptian archeological mission in Saqqara, told Xinhua.

Waziri said the exact number of the unearthed coffins, as well as the identity and titles of their owners, have not yet been determined, but they will be found out in the coming few days as the excavation work still continues.

“The mission continues excavation work on the site and it is expected to result in many other new discoveries of shafts, colored wooden coffins, and statues,” the SCA chief added.

Initial studies revealed that the coffins are completely sealed and have not been opened since they were buried inside the shaft, according to the ministry.

Source: BERNAMA

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Malaysia Remembers MH370

Published

on

KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 — Today, March 8, marks the 7th anniversary of the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines’ flight MH370 that went missing under mysterious circumstances while enroute from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

How and why a sophisticated Boeing 777 carrying 227 passengers of different nationalities and 12 crew vanished from the radar screen without a trace remains an enigma till today, with the extensive search never seen before in aviation history.

In remembering the ill-fated flight, Bernama revisited the incident and interviewed some of the next-of-kin in Malaysia who find the lack of closure on the episode to be disappointing.

“I feel exactly like how it had been seven years ago when I was 17, …things are pretty much the same but we are doing ok,” said the daughter Andrew Nari, the chief steward on the ill-fated flight, to Bernama.

The brother-in-law of Goh Sock Lay, chief stewardess on board, told Bernama that the family did not want to talk about the incident as they felt sad each time they recalled the tragedy.

Family members of passengers also have moved on and felt there is nothing more to talk about the tragedy.

Even the conspiracy theories have abated. The initial theories, such as hijacking and diversion of the plane to US Military base on the Diego Garcia atoll, seizure of control of the aircraft from the pilots via remote methods, and catastrophic systems or airframe failure – are all have yet to be proven.

However, the aircraft’s flaperon that washed up on the beach on Reunion Island a year later pointed to the fact that the Indian Ocean is the final resting place of flight MH370. However, there is no way to pinpoint the exact resting place of the aircraft in the vast ocean.

Australia, China, and Malaysia ended a fruitless US150 million search across a 120,000 square-kilometre area in the Indian Ocean in 2017. Subsequently, Houston-based group Ocean Infinity also failed to locate the aircraft and its search ended in 2018.

The Malaysian Transport Ministry had said that it has yet to receive any credible evidence to initiate a new search. Till the aircraft is found and the mystery surrounding its disappearance is deciphered, the MH370 call sign will remain an enduring mystery of aviation.

Source: BERNAMA

Continue Reading

News

JPJ Is On The Hunt For Vehicle Owners That Use Modified Horns With Rhythmic Tones

Published

on

Lately, the trend of using modified horns with rhythmic tones can be seen to be on the rise especially among bus and also lorry drivers and this irresponsible action has been disturbing other road users. Therefore, the Selangor State Road Transport Department (JPJ) has carried out the enforcement operation to hunt drivers that are still using this type of horn around Selangor. This operation is done so that this disturbing type of horn will never be used again.

Selangor State JPJ also has stressed that a fine of up to a total of RM2,000 and also imprisonment of up to 6 months awaits road users with vehicles that use modified horns. According to a statement, the enforcement operation against the use of these modified horns has been done within the state since 1 March after receiving complaints from the public.

According to the Selangor State JPJ, enforcement against vehicles that install these rhythmic horns as an accessory has been sued under Rule 24 (i) of the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Rules 1959, namely installing horns more than one tone. Vehicles installing this kind of horn have also been taken action with the issuance of a Notice of Prohibition of the Use of Vehicles (PG1).

Vehicle owners who have been compounded must attend an inspection at any nearby JPJ Office to ensure that the vehicle has been taken corrective action by removing the installed rhythmic horns and a Vehicle Use Prohibition Withdrawal Notice (PG2) will be issued after the vehicle inspection is made. The compound also needs to be clarified or the case was taken to court for further action.

JPJ stated that continuous enforcement will be done against any offenses to make sure that road users obey the rules and regulations on the road.

Sources: Facebook JPJ Negeri Selangor.

Continue Reading

News

Malaysia Appointed As Member Of UNSC’s Advisory Group

Published

on

KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 — Malaysia has been appointed as a member of the United Nations Statistical Commission’s (UNSC) advisory group (AG).

The appointment was made at the 52nd UNSC session held virtually from March 1-5, 2021.

In a statement today, the Department of Statistics Malaysia (DoSM) said Malaysia as one of the AG members will modernise the management and organisation of the national statistical system, thus contributing valuably to the advancement of the global statistical community.

The UNSC is the highest decision-making body consisting of more than 190 UN member states and international organisations, and members of the committee meet annually with a mandate to promote official statistics.

During the 52nd UNSC session, Malaysia was also selected as one of the pilot countries under the 12 Tranche of the UN Development Account for 2020 – 2023 projects.

DoSM said Malaysia’s commitment and leadership role in developing the System of Environmental-Economic Accounting (SEEA) in the Asian region is being recognised by the UNSD.

“As a continuation, Malaysia has executed MySEEA extension for the year 2021 – 2025, prioritising the development of Land and Ocean Accounts,” it said.

It said the fully-funded project aimed to strengthen the capacity of National Office of Statistics (NSO) in building SEEA in measuring progress towards sustainable development and formulating integrated evidence-based policies.

Chief statistician Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Uzir Mahidin led the Malaysian delegation for the 52nd UNSC session.

“DoSM, as the official government agency, will continue to be actively involved and supportive in the UNSC in order to improve coverage of many important statistical indicators, as well as to provide reliable official statistics that are relevant to policy that will benefit the whole National Statistical System and the well -being of society,” said Mohd Uzir.

Sources: BERNAMA

Continue Reading

Trending