KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 10 — A total of 465 attempted suicide cases treated at the Ministry of Health has been recorded from January to June this year, said Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba today.
“The total is 210 cases fewer this year compared to 675 cases recorded for the same period last year,” he said when launching the crisis centre, “The Orchid Clubhouse” of the Mental Illness Awareness and Support Association (MIASA), in conjunction with World Suicide Prevention Day 2020 here today.
Dr Adham revealed that the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported there were more than 800,000 suicide deaths each year with an average of one suicide every 40 seconds.
He said globally, suicide incidents are among the 20 leading causes of death for all ages and is one of three leading causes of death among those aged between 15 and 44.
In this regard, he said the theme of this year’s suicide prevention day is ‘Let’s TALK Healthy Minds: Mental Health Owned by All, Prevent Suicide Together’, coincides with the COVID-19 pandemic which has a significant impact on mental health.
Thus, he said the ministry has set up a Psychosocial First Aid Hotline since March 25 in collaboration with Mercy Malaysia.
Besides that, other government agencies such as the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (Jakim) and the Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development have also created their respective support hotlines.
“On the overall, a total of 11,791 calls was received via government helplines between March 25 and August,” he added.
He said each caller has an average of three issues, among them, 50 per cent of issues require emotional support and counselling for stress, anxiety and despair.
This was due to factors such as job loss, interpersonal relationship problems, isolation, and reduced access to assistance during the Movement Control Order (MCO).
Meanwhile, Dr Adham said the ministry also supports the calls to decriminalise attempted suicide, and the Attorney-General’s Chambers is currently studying the matter.
“The government is also aware that attempted suicide cases are getting more worrying and should be addressed. The focus is on Sections 305, 306 and 309 of the Penal Code regarding suicide offences,” he said.
With this effort, Dr Adham said patients who have depression and have attempted suicide will be more open to come forward and receive treatment without facing any stigma.
The ministry also offers mental health screening and treatment services at 1,001 primary healthcare clinics nationwide, four mental institutions, 66 government hospitals, and 28 community mental health centres (Mentari).
(Video) Popular Actor, Aeril Zafrel Announced He Is Confirmed Positive COVID-19
Popular actor Aeril Zafrel through his official Instagram account has confirmed that he was infected with the COVID-19 virus after doing a swab test last Tuesday.
According to him, he only found out that he was positive for the virus after the test results came out on Wednesday.
He is now reportedly quarantining himself for 10 days at his home. To find out more, follow the post he made on Instagram as follows:
Assalamualaikum you all…
last night I got the news I positive COVID-19.
I went to my p.a / manager’s house because he had a fever.
So I went there because it is my habit that I will take care of him if he is seriously ill before this.
So because the day is over so I decided to sleep there.
Tuesday, the next day I took him to the clinic and took a PCR test swab once with me.
Then I met the staff for a briefing launching a virtual online product at the end of this month, and I went home immediately.
the result came out and I & manager positive
Immediately I called @kumpulan_megaklinik_zahran for my family and staff test swab because I met them…
RTK test swabs are all negative and are still waiting for the PCR result, pray for the negative as well.
Now I am self-quarantined near the upstairs room, I want to fill this 10 days with various activities in the room, pray guys. Now my manager has recovered and no more fever. But still self-quarantine.
View this post on Instagram
Source: Aeril Zafrel
Three COVID-19 Vaccines Under Final Review For Emergency Use – WHO
According to Reuters, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported on Wednesday that, in addition to the one already approved by Pfizer and BioNTech, three COVID-19 vaccines were in the late stages of the analysis for future emergency use listings.
An internal WHO document seen by Reuters offers timelines for potential vaccine approvals from the agency, suggesting that in coming weeks or months, shots from Moderna, AstraZeneca, and China’s Sinopharm and Sinovac could receive the emergency go-ahead.
“We have one vaccine so far listed. We have 3 more in the final phase to be assessed for listing, we have 2 more still submitting…In total, we have 13,” Mariangela Simao, WHO assistant director-general for access to medicines, vaccines, and pharmaceuticals.
No deaths related to the Pfizer vaccine or any other vaccine is known to the WHO, she added.
Coronavirus Found In China-Made Ice Cream
Recently, traces of the Covid-19 coronavirus have been discovered in ice cream produced in China. This shocking discovery has led to a government recall of products and 1,662 employees placed in quarantine.
Because of that, fresh questions among people have been raised over the risks of catching the coronavirus from food. According to a report, three samples of ice cream had been found to contain traces of Sars-CoV-2, which causes the disease Covid-19.
The particular company that made the ice cream is the Daqiaodao Food Co., Ltd and it is located in the northern Chinese city of Tianjin which is adjacent to Beijing and it already has been sealed.
An investigation suggested that Ukrainian milk powder used to make the ice cream was the likely source. Three samples of the powder and two further samples of ice creams from the same batch were also found to contain the Sars-CoV-2. This was discovered after taking more than 2,800 samples from the ice cream, packaging, manufacturing plants, and retail stores.
There was no indication anyone had contracted the virus from the ice cream after employees were tested for the coronavirus. Authorities said that the company produced 4,836 Covid-19 contaminated ice cream boxes. Some 2,089 of which have already been sealed and contained in storage as of Jan. 14.
The ones sold in Tianjin stores were being tracked down. Most of the 29,000 cartons in the batch had yet to be sold. Authorities in other areas have been notified. A total of 21 ice creams remained unaccounted for. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said the risk of catching Covid-19 from frozen food is low.
The contamination of ice cream is seen as a new risk as the food is consumed directly without heating or cooking first. The cold environment can also prolong the lifespan of the virus.
News6 days ago
(Video) Tesla Autopilot Can’t Pass Cemetery Because ‘Someone’ Blocking Its Way
Sport6 days ago
(Video) Let’s Vote For Dato Nicol David! The Only Asian Athlete Nominated For Greatest Athlete of All Time Award
Lifestyle2 days ago
Are You A Dragon Ball Fans? Here Are Interesting Facts About Goku’s Family
News1 day ago
Alibaba’s Jack Ma Makes First Live Appearance Since October In Online Meet
Sport3 days ago
Khabib Nurmagomedov Might Making A Comeback To UFC
Lifestyle6 days ago
Naruto Fans Make Petition For A Prequel Series About Minato Namikaze
News2 days ago
(Video) China Debuts “Super Bullet Maglev” Prototype, Can Go Up To 620 KM Per Hour
Lifestyle2 days ago
( Video) Lupin (2021), A Netflix Series That Everyone Can Watch During MCO