Connect with us

News

Flood Situation In T’ganu Worsens, More Than 10,000 Evacuated In Kemaman

Published

on

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 7 — The flood situation on the East Coast, especially in Terengganu, has gotten worse as of tonight with water-levels rising in the town of Chukai, Kemaman, and more than 10,000 people from the district evacuated to flood relief centres.

Most of the roads in the Chukai town have also been closed to light vehicles since 7 pm, and traders have started moving their goods due to fears of a sudden rise in water-level if it continues to rain heavily.

Kelantan is also experiencing a similar situation as almost 6,000 people have been evacuated in the state so far, with the city of Kota Bharu expected to be hit by floods beginning midnight.

The floods in Kelantan today also killed a 20-year-old man, who fell from a boat while helping to transfer flood victims to a temporary evacuation centre in Kampung Manjor, Kuala Krai.

The body of Mohammad Hakimin Rahim was found by his family members at 8.30 am where the victim was reported to have fallen from the boat, and he was also said to have been tired and suffering from cramps due to the cold weather while helping the villagers evacuate from early morning till night.

The latest flood reports from Terengganu stated that as of 8 pm, 11,777 people from 2,947 families had been evacuated to relief centres, with Kemaman recording the highest number with 10,103 victims involving 2,469 families.

Floods in Terengganu now involve four districts namely, Kemaman; Dungun (1,334 victims); Hulu Terengganu (228 victims); and Besut (112 victims).

Meanwhile, five districts in Kelantan are currently affected by the floods, namely Kuala Krai; Jeli; Tanah Merah; Pasir Mas; and Gua Musang.

According to the Social Welfare Department’s (JKM) ‘Info Bencana’ application, a total of 5,896 victims from 1,520 families were housed in 74 evacuation centres, Kuala Krai being the worse affected with 2,611 evacuees; Jeli (1,060); Tanah Merah (488); Pasir Mas (896); and Gua Musang (841).

The situation is different in PAHANG, however, as although more than 20,000 still remain at evacuation centres, the flood situation in the nine districts that were severely affected since Sunday, is gradually recovering, and the number of victims at evacuation centres had decreased tonight to 22,292 people from 6,068 families compared to more than 23,000 this afternoon.

The road from Kuantan to Kuala Lumpur is still cut off at LPT1, and several other spots along the old route.

The situation in Johor and Perak is also improving, while in Beaufort, Sabah, the status quo remains with 35 people still at relief centres.

Source: BERNAMA

News

Penang MAQIS Seizes RM517,700 Worth of Arabica Green Coffee Beans

Published

on

By

BUTTERWORTH, Jan 19 — The Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services Department (MAQIS) seized 19.2 tonnes of Arabica green coffee beans worth RM517,700 which did not meet import permit conditions at the North Butterworth Container Terminal (NBCT).

Penang MAQIS director Zarina Ramli said the department found 640 gunny sacks of coffee beans when its officer inspected a container from Kenya at 4.45 pm last Sunday.

“All the coffee beans are being investigated for not complying with 3P certificate (grading, packaging and labelling),” she said in a statement here today.

The case is being investigated under Section 15(1) of the Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services Act 2011 (Act 728), and those found guilty will be fined not more than RM100,000 or jailed for up to six years, or both,

Zarina said MAQIS will continue to take serious steps on issues related to food safety, disease control and risk of pest entry, which can affect the country’s agriculture industry.

She added MAQIS is committed to ensure every agricultural product entering the country meets the terms and conditions set by the government.

Source: BERNAMA

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 Vaccine In Line With Means To Prevent Diseases, Avoid Harm – Jakim

Published

on

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 19 — The use of the COVID-19 vaccine is in line with Islamic law as a means to prevent diseases as well as to protect others from harm.

A research officer in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs) Fahmi Rusli said the vaccination is necessary for those who have been identified by the government, among them the frontline workers and high risk groups including the elderly.

“The COVID-19 vaccination is similar to the administration of injected vaccines on babies to prevent the spread of various diseases such as polio and so forth,” he said when appearing as guest in the Tanya Jakim segment titled `What’s With the COVID-19 Vaccine’ which was live-streamed on the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (Jakim) Facebook page today.

Fahmi said, Islam promotes disease prevention as according to a hadith from Prophet Muhammad SAW it was mentioned that “He who eats seven ajwa dates every morning, will not be affected by poison or magic on the day he eats them.”

He said, Islam encourages its followers to prevent diseases or seek treatment early before a disease is spread to others, adding that refusing to take the COVID-19 vaccine can cause a person to infect others and this is contrary to Islamic teachings.

Earlier, Bernama reported that the Special Muzakarah Committee of the National Council for Islamic Religious Affairs had agreed that the use of COVID-19 vaccine is compulsory for groups that have been identified by the government and permissible for others.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs), Senator Datuk Seri Dr Zulkifli Mohamad Al-Bakri was quoted as saying that the ruling had been communicated to the Conference of Rulers.

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin when announcing the Malaysian Economic and Rakyat’s Protection Assistance Package (PERMAI) on Monday said the government expects  to receive the first batch of vaccines by the end of February with the first  group to be vaccinated      by early March.

The COVID-19 vaccination programme will run in stages over a 12-month period and almost 27 million or over 80 per cent of the population are expected to receive the vaccine by the first quarter of next year.

Sources: BERNAMA

Continue Reading

News

Frozen Message In A Bottle Found In Norway, 16 Years After It Was Tossed Into The Sea

Published

on

By

A frozen message in a bottle was washed off the coast in Norway 16 years after a couple from Shetland threw it into the sea while sailing.

When Helene Hundeide, from Måløy, found the frozen bottle, the 24-year-old was searching for a place to set her hammock up and make a fire.

Inside, she noticed a message posted by Peter and Susan Henry from Noonsbrough on August 7, 2004.

The message said that the couple were on the Vega yacht, returning home after 10 days sailing around Unst – and asked anyone who noticed the note to contact them.

“It was very exciting,” said Ms. Hundeide. “I have never found a bottle mail before, and that it would be as old as 16 years – wow!

“That was absolutely incredible.”

Ms. Hundeide, who manages power lines, attempted to contact the couple via the email address on the note but discovered that it was out of use.

She then posted the photo on a local Facebook group and shared it on the page Stories n Photos o Maritime Shetland, where its senders were recognized by several people. The story was also picked up in Måløy by the Fjordenes Tidende newspaper.

Ms. Hundeide was able to reach Mr. Henry within an hour with the help of Facebook users.

“He was surprised that the bottle post had been found after so many years,” said Ms. Hundeide.

Ms. Hundeide has also talked to Mrs. Henry and says that when the pandemic is over, they are both “very nice people” whom she wants to meet in Noonsbrough.

“It looks like a beautiful place,” she said. “I love to travel, so that’s the next destination I will visit.”

In the meantime, Ms. Hundeide says she plans to frame the message.

“It is in good condition, so this is a memory for life,” she added.

Source: Daily Mail

Continue Reading

Trending