Connect with us

Health

Only Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Suitable For Pregnant Women

Published

on

PUTRAJAYA, May 17 — Only the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is suitable to be given to women who are in their 14th to 33rd week of pregnancy, said Coordinating Minister for the National COVID-19 Immunisation Programme Khairy Jamaluddin.

He told a press conference on the development of the National COVID-19 National Immunisation Program, which was held virtually with Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba, that the other two vaccines, Sinovac and AstraZeneca, are not recommended for pregnant women.

He said the COVID-19 Immunisation Task Force (CITF) would coordinate with the relevant agencies, such as the Health Ministry, for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to be given to pregnant women.

Khairy, who is Science, Technology and Innovation Minister, said the pregnant women could also wait to get the vaccination after the birth of their child.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is also suitable for nursing mothers, he said, adding that for the Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines, the safety data is limited and recommendations will be made after consultation.

He said these were the clinical guidelines issued in response to public inquiries on vaccines for pregnant and nursing mothers.

However, they are advised to seek doctors’ advice if they have any doubts, he added.

According to Khairy, 10.18 million individuals have registered to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

He said a total of 1.202 million people have received the first dose of the vaccine, with 733,237 of them having completed both doses.

So far, a total of 1,935,632 doses of the vaccine had been administered, he added.

On the industrial Vaccination Center (PPV), Khairy said the CITF had approved an application by Pharmaniaga to open it as a pilot project.

“CITF approved Pharmaniaga’s application because it is the factory that is involved in the bottling of the Sinovac vaccine. Pharmaniaga buys its own vaccine to be given to its factory workers, ”he said.

Source: BERNAMA

Health

Parents Seek Help For 11-Month-Old Baby With Heart Disease

Published

on

IPOH, June 15  — It has been a struggle for survival for a married couple here, who currently has no source of income due to the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO).

Julia Mohd Ali, 34, who suffers from spinal cord disease, said she used to work as a security guard, but was forced to quit her job in last March as her health deteriorated.

The mother of five said life gets hard for her family after her husband Mohamad Syamrezlan Misak, 22, a contract labourer, could not go to work due to the implementation of the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) in Manjoi, from June 6 to 19.

To make matters worse for the couple, they have to take care of their two children who have health conditions and require help as well as treatment.

“I have four children from my previous marriage. Three of them live with my ex-husband, while my eldest son Nor Aiman ​​Fitri, 16, who has Dyslexia and learning disabilities is currently under my care,” she said when met by Bernama at his rented house in Kampung Tengku Hussein, Manjoi.

Julia said her child from the current marriage, Raisha Aleeya, 11 months, was diagnosed with clogged arteries three months ago.

“Every six weeks, I have to take my baby who also suffers from epilepsy to the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital for examination. She is also scheduled to undergo a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan this August,” she said.

Despite the hardship, Julia said she was very grateful for the concern demonstrated by a non-governmental organisation which has agreed to help her in paying the house rental which costs her RM300 a month for three months.

Meanwhile, Kinta district Social Welfare officer Shamsudin Osman said the Social Welfare Department (JKM) would look at the suitable assistance that could be channelled to the family.

“We will visit them to provide the food box aid. We will provide the necessary assistance to the family accoding to their needs,” he said when contacted by Bernama.

Sources: BERNAMA

Continue Reading

Health

Besides Christian Eriksen, These Are 5 Other Footballers Who Have Collapsed On The Field

Published

on

Recently, the sports world has been bearing shocking news when an unconscious Christian Eriksen received CPR on the turf of Parken Stadium. The incident in which his teammates attempting to form a protective ring to keep his motionless body out of sight really makes everyone worried. It really made everyone worries as seasoned football fans have seen this in the past and the outcome has almost never been nice.

Luckily, the condition of Christian Eriksen is now stabilized. He is under the best possible medical care and most importantly, alive. Other than this particular incident, there are also some other footballers who have collapsed on the field. These are 5 of the most remembered incident that has ever happened before.

1) Fabrice Muamba

Picture: Bleacher Report

The Bolton Wanderers midfielder collapsed on the pitch in an FA Cup match in 2012 due to a cardiac arrest and was technically “dead” for 78 minutes before he was revived. The former England under-21 midfielder had to retire soon after at the age of 24.

2) Marc-Vivien Foe

Picture: Pinterest

The Cameroon midfielder collapsed during a Confederations Cup match in 2003. Medical staff attempted to resuscitate the 28-year-old on the pitch before taking him off on a stretcher. However, they failed in their attempts to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead.

3) Cheick Tiote

Picture: Bleacher Report

Four months after leaving Newcastle United, the midfielder fainted during a training session with Chinese club Beijing Enterprises. The 30-year-old Ivorian died in hospital.

4) Bafetimbi Gomis

Picture: World Football Index

The French striker has collapsed several times on the pitch due to a medical condition that causes him to faint. He has collapsed playing for Swansea City, Galatasaray, and Al-Hilal.

5) Miklos Feher

Picture: Sportskeeda

The Hungary striker was playing for Portuguese side Benfica against Vitoria Guimaraes in January 2004 when he keeled over in pain before falling backward onto the pitch after a heart attack. Medics attempted to resuscitate the unconscious 24-year-old before he was taken off on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital. Doctors tried to revive him for nearly 90 minutes before he was pronounced dead.

Sources: The Straits Times.

Continue Reading

Health

1,357,966 Individuals Fully Vaccinated As of Yesterday – Dr Adham

Published

on

KUALA LUMPUR, June 14 — A total of 1,357,966 individuals have completed the two-dose vaccination under the National COVID-19 Immunisation Programme as of yesterday, said Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba.

Dr Adham in a Twitter posting said, 3,132,304 individuals received the first dose, bringing the number of doses administered in Malaysia so far to 4,490,270.

The five states with the highest number of two-dose vaccinations are Selangor with 174,302 doses followed by Sarawak (149,227); Perak (131,350); Johor (130,202); and Kuala Lumpur (122,810).

As of yesterday, 56.80 per cent or 13,789,736 individuals have registered for the vaccination with Selangor leading the sign-up for jabs at 3,508,098 people followed by Johor (1,720,532), Sarawak (1,320,513) and Kuala Lumpur (1,166,135).

Sources: BERNAMA

Continue Reading

Trending