Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Floods: Number of Evacuees Rises In Melaka, Situation Improves In Selangor

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 22 — The number of flood victims in Melaka continued to rise this morning while the situation of flash floods that hit several areas in Selangor is improving.

In MELAKA, the number of flood evacuees rose to 1,105 people from 283 families as of 8 am today, compared to 932 victims from 249 families at 4 pm yesterday.

Melaka Civil Defence Force director Lt Col Cuthbert John Martin Qudra said the number of relief centres opened in three districts in the state remained at 12 so far.

He added that the Melaka Tengah district recorded the highest number of evacuees with 718 people from 173 families who were placed in six relief centres, namely Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Tun Mutahir, Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Batu Berendam, SK Krubong, SK Taman Merdeka, SK Ayer Molek and SMK Bukit Katil.

In Alor Gajah district, a total of 121 victims from 38 families were housed in three relief centres namely SK Durian Tunggal, Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina (SJKC) Sin Wah and SK Telok Berembang, while in Jasin, 266 victims from 72 families were sheltered in SMK Seri Bemban, SK Tehel and SJKC Shuh Yen.

He said among the locations affected by floods in Melaka Tengah were Sungai Putat, Bukit Beruang, Malim Permai, Desa Duyong, Ayer Keroh, Taman Rambai Jaya, Kampung Sungai Badau, Bakar Batu, Balai Panjang, Kampung Kolam, Kampung Morten and Tengkera.

As for Alor Gajah, it involved Kampung Dalong, Kampung Danun, Parit Melana, Kampung Padang Keladi, Durian Daun and Bukit Balai, while in Jasin, among the locations affected were the Merlimau town, Jasin Bestari, Asam Kumbang, Lubuk Kasau and Tehel.

In SELANGOR, state Fire and Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis said the flood situation in several areas continued to improve as of 8 am today.

“Based on the data that we obtained, there are seven relief centres in Sepang involving 279 evacuees from 69 families,” he said, adding that the victims would be allowed to return home once the situation is safe and getting better.

Sources: BERNAMA

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

KOTA BHARU, Dec 2  — A total of 49 short-term and long-term plans have been drawn up to ensure that the welfare of senior citizens,...

Music

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 2 — The government does not intend to make booster doses a mandatory condition to complete dosage of COVID-19 vaccines for Malaysians for now,...

News

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 30  — The Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development (KPWKM) has succeeded in attracting over 100,000 Waja Squad volunteers, said its Minister, Datuk...

News

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 30 — New water buses and vehicle transporters will be used to operate the Penang ferry service beginning end of next year,...

Copyright © 2021 Siakap Keli Sdn. Bhd.