Hope, they say, is like a Ferris Wheel in that it will take you high and low. You feel as if you can touch the sky when you’re at the top, and you can’t wait to get back to the top when you’re down. There’s a reason this ride is surrounded by so many quips and wisdom tidbits.
A trip to the funfair is never complete without riding the Ferris wheel, which is slow-moving, pleasant, and most definitely romantic. A Ferris Wheel is an amusement ride that transports passengers in cabins, tubs, or pods on an upright revolving wheel. Due to gravity, the pods revolve as the wheel rotates. Cars are located outside the rim of the wheel in certain configurations, with independent electric motors.
There are tonnes of reasons to ride one but the significant four are:
- The view- The Ferris Wheel’s height allows it to serve the rider with a unique ability to provide a vista. From the top, you can overlook the entire event site as well as the surrounding area.
- Availability for all age- This ride is unlike many others in that there are no age or weight restrictions. If you can get on the ride, whether you’re 90 or 19, you can ride it.
- A spot to repose- Assume you’ve had a long day and need to unwind. Simply take a spin on the Ferris wheel, and by the time you get off, you’ve recovered and are ready to rejoin the crowd and have even more fun.
- To kill time- If you’re looking for something to do when you’re bored, climb on the ride. You can also use the ride as a place to rest between rides.
As fun as this amusement park ride may sound, there are possibilities it can also be a threat. I mean, what are the odds of dying from a Ferris Wheel ride!
Recently, according to Bernama, a 39-year-old man was confirmed dead while the other man was severely injured, after a fall from the Ferris wheel at a funfair in Cheras. A rather odd way to die.
When people board the Ferris wheel, the traction cable, gear, and conveyor belt are totally responsible for their safety. A minor blunder or lapse in judgment in the middle can result in tragic consequences. Such historical lessons should be taken seriously.
So here are some safety tips you might want to consider before getting on a Ferris Wheel.
Ferris wheel deaths and accidents can be attributed to the rider failing to obey the rules, such as swaying the gondolas or unfastening latches or safety systems. Single riders are now prohibited by several operators in the hopes of reducing accidents or suicide attempts. So here’s what to consider as a passenger on a Ferris Wheel:
- Please do not ride if you are pregnant, if you are inebriated, or if you are an alcoholic.
- Knives, sharp items, flammable and explosive products, chemicals, and other dangerous things are absolutely prohibited on board.
- Riders under 1.2 meters must be accompanied by an adult.
- People who are ill should not bike, especially those who have a cardiac condition, high or low blood pressure, low blood sugar, anemia, or other serious health problems.
- Jumping on the seat, strolling around or leaving the seat, knocking on the equipment, and messing with other risky aspects are all strictly prohibited.
Maintenance of Ferris Wheel
While passengers must adhere to all safety procedures, the amusement park must also keep the Ferris wheel in good working order. When it comes to running an outside huge Ferris wheel for a long period, quality is crucial. Here’s what operators should consider:
- Analyze the status of the operation and undertake a safety evaluation.
- Check the lubrication points and whether the pin shafts, bearings, chains, pin teeth, wire ropes, and other components need to be oiled before starting the wheels.
- The majority of the Ferris wheels spin constantly, with no stops for guests to board or disembark. There should be service employees at both the top and lower parts of the car for this type of Ferris wheel; one person is responsible for opening the door and looking after the passengers, while the other is responsible for looking after the passengers on board and locking the two locks.
- To avoid overloading the Ferris wheel, it is required to separate the 23 cabins and then the passenger before commencing the ride.
- While the Ferris wheel is in operation, operators are not permitted to leave the operating room. At the same time, they should pay close attention to the operating circumstances and, if an anomalous scenario arises, promptly stop the Ferris wheel.
- The Ferris wheel cannot be operated during a thunderstorm or other inclement weather.
- The Ferris wheel cars should be checked one by one at the end of the day’s work. Cut off the main power supply after checking that no one has left.
Apart from having the best time of your life on this amazing ride, just be sure to observe all these safety tips when riding on a Ferris Wheel because dying due to this beautiful amusement ride, isn’t ideal!